Friday, July 12, 2013

Ricky might be in trouble...

We've been back almost 2 weeks and we're trying to find normalcy!  I still have an occasional bout with vertigo, but all in all, there is a new rhythm going on here.  Laundry is still insane and we're still enjoying take outs and drop ins at favorite restaurants (and new ones too; Crooked Rooster is awesome!)   It's actually been very helpful talking and listening to just you "regular", seasoned parents. We've also been just using common sense and at times survival tactics (divide and conquer, contain, etc.)!  We definitely are dealing with a lot of Parenting 101 issues that surface when you have 2 or more children.  Adoptive Parent sunglasses go on occasionally, but for the most part, we are realizing we are just parents, period. Just regular people with 2 kids.  And loving it more each day.

Lia and Rosie continue to get used to each other, while they struggle with sharing...sharing me!  So they will kind of grab my leg and assume their position, increase their stability by taking on a wide stance, get very determined and push back as necessary. Push back me, or each other, wherever the tension is coming from.  If I try to pry them off, they combat me with a stronger hold.   As sweet as it is, it is not easy to end this battle of "She is MINE! and I love her more!".  Keith is a great referee, and usually finds a way to get them off within a few seconds.  I dreaded him going back to work, because I couldn't imagine how I was going to end this scenario.  I can understand their stronghold, because my love for them is just as strong and continues to grow stronger every day.   I just don't cling to them!!!!

When we were at Lucy's in Guangzhou, I kind of started to realize I have a Lucy and Ethel situation on my hands.  Lucy is the fiery one, constantly moving, impulsively thinking up things that could possibly get herself in trouble.  Ethel is the devoted, logical friend that just loves Lucy.  Ethel grounds Lucy.  Can you figure out who's who in my family (OK everyone, I mean the girls, not Keith and I! Yes, I do get him into trouble occasionally but it's always unintentional)?   I just dread the fact that I could be the target of conspiracy one day...so I just constantly watch out of the corner of my eye...sometimes I see glimses of what will be.  Today they played so nicely in the living room, and then came into the kitchen where I was doing dishes.  They came in holding hands, smiles beaming, looking up at me, not saying a word, but just giggling.  I was a little suspicious to what would happen next, but it was so sweet and innocent!  But as my friend Loure would say, "Be on the alert!".  Rosie has a sneaky side to her; Keith and I can feel it!  But so does Lia.

Last Summer, my friend Loure and I ate up in a cute little cafe in Clinton Corners. I bought 2 cookies; one for Lia and one for me.  I took a bite out of my cookie, and Lia worked on hers very quickly.  Her hair needed to be adjusted with hairclips...as I focused on her barrettes, she switched plates without me knowing.  Loure burst into laughter...As long as I live, I will not forget that moment of victory that Lia had.  And then there's the story Doreen tells me.  When Doreen babysat Lia for the first time, Doreen was thinking how quiet and sweet Lia is.  And then Lia came into the kitchen up to Doreen, and said, "Boo!". My mind immediately goes to just a few days ago at Uno's when Lia started dancing to the music before the food arrived...she dances so crazy sweet.  It drives me insane.  So Rosie snuck down from the booth and started to rock on.  Hysterical!  What was she doing in the orphanage?  Breakdancing?  Did they put on the music and let them dig the beat?  Just didn't think she was dancing over there, but maybe so.  Anyhow, Lia truly does have a lot of things up her sleeve.   Just hoping I don't have 2 Lucys here.

And so the friendship began...a short lived, quiet moment on the official adoption day in China, before doing official fingerprinting documentation.
And today in Hannaford's...driving (us crazy? just kidding) 

Seeing any simularities????
Not yet?
Lia took a nap, while Rosie skipped hers and then did errands with her dad, including getting free balloons from CVS.  No wonder why Rosie is not taking naps...

Update...After I came out of the shower, Rosie and Lia were each in a section of the mesh divided laundry hamper.  "Who's idea was this?"
Lia's reply, "Rosie and me".  Kind of says it all.  We're heading into lots of adventures!
 To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment