Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"What is that on our plate?"

Today we took a cab to Tengwang Pavilion in Nanchung.  The way they drive is incredible.  Scooters  and  bikes(with or without children) come inches away from accidents.  Horns are used as tools to drive.  They don't honk in anger, but just to get their way through.  I am soooo glad that we are in the back seat!  As I write this post, I can hear the drivers honking non stop.
By the way, the first day here we had to cross the road to the Civic Building to complete adoption papers.  Our guide Helen is very petite, but she held her powerful little hand out, and I kept my eyes on her and told her, "OK, Helen, I'm trusting you".  Hey, she knows the town so I got to trust that she won't get us killed.  Now does that make any sense?  Here I am trusting a stranger, with my new baby in my arms.  Meanwhile, Lia just came out from the countryside and into my arms within a few hours.  Lia is trusting me!!!! By the way, we haven't seen any accidents...yet.  The more we ride in the taxis, the more I feel like I'm participating "in" a real live video game where no one gets hurt. 
The Pavilion was so incredibly beautiful. It is a very famous building.  Of course I took a lot of photos.  We even were able to see a performance in the 9 story building.  Nanchung is very hot and humid, so Keith was very protective of Lia.  She is becoming a Daddy's girl, and is mesmerized by him. It is so sweet to watch. 
We had a lunch that included a chicken's head.  Keith kept asking, "What is that?" to our guide, and she ignored him.  I thought maybe it was a liver or the heart.  She quietly had the waitress take the head off the plate.  We got away with murder, because Helen then said, "Oh, you Americans don't eat chicken feet either".  Wow, I'm learning to always ask questions.  Lots of questions. If you don't get an answer, don't eat it.  (The night before, she told me about turtle soup.  She also told me to eat a raw egg and noodles for my birthday breakfast.)  Our cultures are so different, but yet we are so enjoying the experiences.
Jiangxi is famous for green tea, so we went green tea shopping.  We got home safely, and stayed in the hotel the rest of the day. 
Around 3:30, there was a knock at the door.  I was surprised by my tour guide.  She came in with the hotel staff singing in Chinese, Happy Birthday!  We had a delicous sponge cake with lots of fruit on top.  They also came in with a huge floral arrangement. I've never seen lilies as big as these! 
Lia has been a crack up.  Keith sometimes says something to her and then she'll react in an unusual way (usually giggling with arms moving).  There is such a communication barrier, but we sure do enjoy each other.  It's been quite amazing to watch the two of them communicating!  Keith feels the same about Lia and I.  All in all, we're becoming a family within just a few days. 
Thanks for all the comments.  We so enjoy reading them on the other side of the world.  We're sorry for lack of photos due to restrictions on blogs.  We'll do our best and eventually find a way to get them out to you...

3 comments:

  1. It seems like everyday is an adventure! Not knowing what is going to happen next.

    The three of you are really enjoying each others company and everyday will bring you closer as a family.

    Enjoy the days ahead because before you know it the three of you will be returning HOME. H O O R A Y !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even read your post yet and I am laughing just from the title! Thank you so much for posting - I can't wait to go and your blog is a great introduction - green tea shopping it is! And I am so glad your family is enjoying being together.

    If you email me a photo - can I post it on your blog for you? I would be happy to help
    Sue Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom was really excited that she you 3 using SKYPE on Tuesday morning. That made her day! There were also several from the home that saw and heard the conversation.

    ReplyDelete